Friday, November 9, 2007

What You Can Do: Darfur


Over the next few days, I will be posting a series that addresses practical steps you can take to help change the world. Today's post deals with Darfur and what you can do to help stop the genocide occurring there. (If you are unfamiliar with the situation in Darfur, please visit the following link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3496731.stm )

So what can you do to help the millions of people living in Darfur? When I first heard about Darfur, my initial reaction was that there was nothing I could do to help. I could not have been farther from the truth. There is so much that ordinary everyday people can do to help end genocide.

Of the Rwanda genocide, late Illinois representative, Paul Simon wrote, "If every member of the House and Senate had received 100 letters from people back home saying we have to do something about Rwanda, when the crisis was first developing, then I think the response would have been different." This quote shows us two things. First, that the US government has a history of not acting during humanitarian crises. Second, and most importantly, that a simple letter can change the world.

I am urging you to write your representatives about the Darfur genocide. Go to darfurscores.org and find the latest information on your representatives as it pertains to their action (or lack thereof) as regards Darfur. This site gives you tips on what to write as well as the address of your representatives. All the work is done for you, all you have to do is write and send the letter. It doesn't seem like a letter would change the world, but it can. Please, write your representatives and save lives in Sudan.

You can also sign petitions on behalf of the victims in Darfur. This site: http://www.darfurgenocide.org/petitions.php gives a list of current and past petitions that you can sign. Again, it doesn't seem like a lot, but it is. It won't take a lot of your time, but it will make a difference.

Raising awareness is another huge issue. I have found that few people actually know what is happening in Sudan. Because they are not aware, these people do not act. You can change this through talking to these people about the situation in Sudan. Having one on one conversations with people is a good way to raise awareness. Another thing you can do, though, is arrange to speak to your school or youth group about th genocide. I have found that youth pastors and teachers are very receptive to this sort of thing. Students are often very willing to act once they know what is happening.

Another way to raise awareness is to wear clothes with anti-genocide slogans. I bought a hoodie a few weeks ago with the words, "Save Darfur" and the Save Darfur logo. I've been wearing it everywhere and answering questions about it. The best part of buying anti-genocide merchandise is that depending on where you buy, a portion of the proceeds goes to help the victims in Darfur.

DONATE. This is a very direct way that you have power to help the people of Sudan. When donating, remember that every little bit helps - what you donate may not seem like a lot to you, but to someone living in poverty, it can make a huge difference. Most of my Darfur links have ways you can donate. If you like, you can also do a Google search on sites where you can donate to help save Darfur. Almost any Darfur website will take donations, and these donations usually go directly to the victims of genocide.

Lastly, I cannot stress enough how important it is to pray for peace in Darfur. This is a region with a long history of violence and slavery. Rape, murder, and slavery are all very common in this part of Sudan. Please pray that the genocide will stop and that the people of Darfur will be blessed with peace.

I know that it is hard to imagine the horrors occurring in Sudan. Darfur is halfway around the world. Sometimes it doesn't seem quite real. Allow me to say that the genocide in Darfur is VERY real. Almost half a million people have been slaughtered. Two and a half million are displaced and have no homes. This is real, and it is happening now. In your lifetime. You have the power to help stop this - I'm asking you to do your part. Write your representatives. Sign petitions on behalf of those who cannot help themselves. Donate to provide food and aid the the victims of genocide. Pray for peace in a region that has none. Stand up for justice for that that have none. Please, act on behalf of the victims of Darfur. You can do something.

No comments: