Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What You Can Do: Animal Rights

I know that the media has really hyped up animal rights to the point where many people think that it is nothing more than an over dramatization by a lot of radicals. While this may be true to some small extent, by and large, animals today do suffer tremendously. Slaughterhouse animals are kept in incredibly inhumane conditions. Milk cows are the same way. Laying chickens are also the same way. The meat, dairy, and egg industries do not care for their animals in an appropriate matter. (For more details on this, please Google 'animal rights abuses' or read the book Slaughterhouse.)

There are a few things that you can do to change this. Something that I have recently done, is gone vegetarian. I understand that this doesn't work for everyone, but even if you decide not to go completely vegetarian, why not at least cut meat out of your diet once a week? You will save animal lives and be able to enjoy the health benefits of eating less animals.

I would also encourage you to check out PETA's website and look into some of their ideas for activism. I respect that I lot of people disagree with PETA, but by and large, what they say about animal rights abuses is incredibly true.

Another website to check out would be PETA2. It's PETA, but for teenagers. The site is full of ways that teens can help animals. Joining th PETA2 street team is a fantastic way to help animals and earn points that you can cash in for neat rewards (I know that sounds tacky, but the stuff is pretty cool.)

Please, do your part to end the abuse of animals.

No comments: